Tales From the Dark Side

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Not so much Negative as Scary!

Yesterday was probably the most heart-wrenching day ever since I decided to move.

And everything ended perfectly OK...

Em and I have been worried that P would not move out and that I would be screwed but we always joked that i would just move into her bedroom until we figured it out... well she was left a note yesterday from P saying that he has talked to the Landlords Tenant and Housing Authority and that she had acted illegally... needless to say he wasn't leaving.
So we called...

According to them because she rents the house and rents to him she is not a landlord under the law so that ACT does not apply to her, therefore they can't do anything... so we called the free lawyers clinic... they only help tenants - she is acting in the capacity of a landlord - STUPID LOOPHOLE....
Finally get a hold of LANDLORD HELP-DESK... they say the same thing... you aren't a landlord Em... he is not a tenant... no laws apply in your situation... put a notice up saying that on the 28th you are changing the locks and if he is not out you are removing his stuff. As the LEGAL tenant it is within her RIGHTs to do so!!!

It took us 2 hours ro find this out yesterday...
Scariest 2 hours ever!
First I thought I was going to have to put most of my stuff in storage and live in a room with 3 cats... Now I may be packing someone elses crap before I can unload my crap to move in!! Thank God I have the truck for 24 hours!

And I wonder if I renamed my blog properly - but I think I got it right. For some reason Chaos finds me....
But everything is back on track.
The BF is here to help this weekend withthte taking down of curtain rods and wall mirrors, and the moving of a few boxes.
Maybe we'll take some stuff to the garage too! That might be fun!
Dragonfly 2/26/2005 09:39:00 AM

2 Comments:

Again, interesting society Canada has. I am not sure how I would ever approach a situation like that here. I guess we would look at who's name is on the rental agreement and if the other person is not on it then they have to leave. I guess the cops would get involved then. I am not sure and we don't have nice free hotlines to call. Damn America.
Yup - Em is the only name on the lease. and The Landlord Tenant Act of 1998 was set up to resolve issues between Landlords and Tenents and protect tenants rights - but of course there are problems...

Even the situation I live in isn't covered as it is a shared situation - roommates aren't covered... and that is basically what Em and P are even if there is a separate enterance. It is scary... But it seems he finally got the point, and realized that he has no rights and he has 2 days to find a place to live instead of the month he originally had...

The free clinics are helpful that is for sure but they are specialized and will only help tenants (or other specific groups).

Add a comment