Tales From the Dark Side

Thursday, June 16, 2005

What's in a Name?

When I started high school, my friends started calling me D. A nickname, a shortform of my given name. I loved it. I had no problems with my given name I just found it very formal and as my whole family called my by my given name (and I wasn't fond of them) I was more than happy to be acknowledged by a shorter, happier, more carefree name.

I even started using it as my computer logon.

At parent/teacher night, my father showed up. This was a huge surprise as the man rarely took an interest in anything I did (as long as the house was clean, my grades were good and I didn't miss curfew, I was pretty much on my own). He wanted to see what we were doing in computers and when he watched my log on, had a melt-down in the car on the way home.

"Do you know what your name is?"
"I gave you that name because that is what I want you to be called, not a shortform, not a nickname, but your given name."

Thinking about it now. My father was given 3 names. And goes by a shortened version of the 3rd one. I wish I had the courage to call him on that one when I was 14.
So when my friends called the house they used my full name. It became a joke.
At the age of 30 my Dad finally started calling my D.
My brother doesn't. He's the only one.
I think he does it out of spite. He's a pest.


Does our name really make us who we are?
Does the creation of our on-line name, hide our real-life personalities?
Where did we come up with our names? (I was given mine!)

This is my deep thought for the day.
I hope it doesn't plague my while at work.
Dragonfly 6/16/2005 08:41:00 AM

7 Comments:

Yes. Firefly's glow.

And Dragonfly's do what exactly.
?Scare the crap out of people?

But they are cool to look at. There is a uniqueness to them.
Kind of like me.

a strange, scary negative side.
And an interesting, beautiful side.

Wow.

Maybe our names do fit.
The challenge is in taking your name and hammering at it, day in and day out, so that it means YOU and not the concept that it had before you.

I met a girl once with very sad eyes and she told me her name was Ophelia. I looked at her in a completely new light and wondered if her life was as tragic as that character in Shakespear's head.

Anyway - just passing through. You're an obvious writer and your blog brought out the writer in me.
Thanks for stopping in anonymous.
Thanks for posting!
Nah, nothing like that. I'm a secret admirer of my wife and children, foremost and only!

But, in skipping from blog to blog, and this one is 5 removed from the 'friend' in 'a friend of a friend of a friend...' I thought this post was really interesting - and it's something I've thought about myself... so I felt compelled to write.

Again - I hope I'm not intruding.

Dragonfly - I hope you write much more on the side, even outside of this blog.
Anon - I could admit to writing on the sly. But then I'd have to track you down, and reveal my secret identity...
I don't have that kind of time.
So, my official word is, I write here (and Chaotic Beauty *of course* and that is all).
LOL

Alright - so long as you're okay with it - I'll keep lurking quietly behind *my* secret identity and watching from the sidelines.

Add a comment